Ms. Tracy joined The Rhode Show live in the kitchen last week to show them how to make a pair of fun summer snacks for the kids – Mac & Cheese Muffins and S’mores! To watch her segment, click here. Below you will find the yummy recipes!
Mac & Cheese Muffins
•1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus 2 tablespoons for pasta water
•1 pound pasta shells
•2 cups whole milk
•2 tablespoons unsalted butter
•2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•1/2 cup canned butternut squash
•1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
•1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
•1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
•2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
•Ice Cream Cones
•Favorite s’mores toppings: peanut butter, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, sliced strawberries, sliced bananas, etc.
Mac & Cheese Muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Fill a muffin tin with liners.
2. Bring a large pot of water with 2 tablespoons salt to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the milk.
4. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the warm milk (the mixture should start to thicken a bit) and cook for another minute. Add the butternut squash, garlic powder, egg yolk, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper, and mix well. Remove from the heat, add 2 1/4 cups of the cheese and stir until the cheese has melted. Stir in the cooked pasta and toss to coat.
5. Fill each muffin cup with 1/3 cup of the pasta mixture. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon cheese. Bake until the sauce bubbles slightly and the tops begin to brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
•Fill with your favorite toppings. Wrap each cone tightly with foil.
•Oven directions: Bake at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes.
•Grill directions: Place on a heated grill for 5-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
Campfire directions: Heat the foil-wrapped cones over a campfire for about 3-5 minutes, or until the chocolate and marshmallows have melted.